Thursday, August 6, 2009

Public Service Announcement

Alright ladies,
this might be too much information for you to handle, so you may want to skip on by 'What the Beck' today, but since this is my online journal of my life I think the recent story needs to be documented.

Two weeks ago today I had an i.u.d. placed as my birth control. I had the same one after having Annalee, so I didn't even think twice about my decision because the first one worked so well. On Saturday night I started having severe pain and knew right away that something wasn't right. After calling my doctor's office that night and finding out that my choices were to leave a message to be returned Monday morning, or to go to the emergency room, I opted to wait and see since the pain had started to subside. I had pain off and on all weekend, but by Monday it was better. Then on Wednesday it started getting worse again so I called to make an appointment with my doctor for last Thursday.

I went in, was examined and they couldn't find what they were looking for, awesome. They sent me down the hall to have a sonogram and the sonographer couldn't find it either. Remember, this device is supposed to be in my uterus, and it's M.I.A at this point! The look on the doctor's face was priceless, she couldn't believe her eyes. At this point they order a CAT scan to be done on Monday to find out where it could have gone. They keep asking me if I was sure that it hadn't fallen out...umm, pretty sure I would have noticed it if it did!

On Friday before going to the zoo, they call back and want me to come in ASAP for an abdominal x-ray to make sure it is indeed somewhere in by body. Come to find out, it is...but we don't know exactly where.

I come in on Monday for my CAT scan, the results come in later that day and it has infact migrated out of my uterus and into my abdominal cavity. Super. The doctor wants to see me the next day for my Pre-Op appointment...that's right, the only way to retrieve it now is through surgery.

So, yesterday at 12:30 I headed to the hospital for my first surgery of my life. The nurse has to ask a million questions about my health and my answer to all of them was no. Finally, she asked what I was there for and I had to tell her the ridiculous situation. Luckily it was only a laproscopic procedure (a small incision in my bellybutton for the scope and another small incision to remove the device), but I still had to have general anesthesia and the whole bit.

I was able to come home last night at about 9pm and I am doing good today, just a little sore. The biggest pain of it all is having to pump and dump my milk and give Grace formula because I didn't have very much milk stored up. I only have to do that for a few more hours though.

The moral of the story, read the fine print and be prepared to be the 1% that this type of thing could happen to. Needless to say, despite my good experience with the first i.u.d., we won't be going that route again!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. That was TMI. But the problem is that by telling me that it only makes me want to read it.

Anonymous said...

Your exact story happened to a friend of mine at church. So I know two people that fall into that 1%. Crazy.

Jill

Hilary said...

Wow!!! That's crazy!! I had one too but never imagined that really could happen..I'm glad that they found it and your ok!! That really is horrible!!!

Jennifer said...

I'm SOO sorry you had to go through that. That totally stinks. And I TOTALLY don't believe it's 1% anymore from all the stories I've heard. If they were in our area, seems like it'd be more like 50-75%. I'm glad you're doing well. I got the update from Terry on Wednesday night. And bummer on Grace with the formula, but just remember, even though all the breast milk advocates want you to think it's devil's juice, it really won't do her any harm :)

Cassy said...

Ok, you've talked me out of it! No iud for me!!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

OH.MY.GOSH.
I have nothing else to say!!! So sorry! I too will never get one!

Chesley said...

You are the second person I have heard this has happened too! So sorry you have had this experience. I think it's good you shared this so that other woman are informed.
I hope you feel better soon. What a whip!

Anonymous said...

I recommend Estrostep!

Kaki said...

Hope that you are feeling better, Lori!! I remember Summer's 1% experience with the pill that gets your labor started - I can't remember its name. I was there and it was a nightmare! The old fashioned ways are the best methods! :)

Kristen said...

ok, no IUD for me!!!! OMG!!!!

I hope you are feeling better!

Rachel Siegel said...

I hate that you had to deal with this! I would be blaming the person who put it in!! Either way..I am ready for some pics of my adorable neices! update soon! haha i check this more often than you would think! :)

Zach and Alyson said...

I have heard of this before as well. I'm glad that everything turned out okay for you though. I think that I will definitely steer clear of the IUDs in the future.