Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Poor Baby

Imagine my horror when I picked Grace up from her nursery class yesterday and found her front tooth missing a large chunk!! I freaked...so much so that Annalee burst into tears as well. The most amazing part of the whole ordeal is that it was a complete mystery of how it happened. Her teacher noticed it within a few minutes of her being in class and assumed that it had happened at home since Grace hadn't even been set down to play yet and had definitely not fallen or banged her tooth on anything. I was 100% sure that it had not happened at home or when I was around because I would have noticed it that morning. After a frantic call to the pediatric dentist (lucky for us we already had a great one since Annalee just recently had her first visit) we were scheduled for an exam. Yesterday morning I had to take my 9 month old to the dentist! I was SO dreading it, but she was a trooper. She sat perfectly still for the exam and let the doctor get a good look at the damage. Apparently there are 3 layers to our teeth and her chip goes well into the 2nd layer (luckily not the 3rd layer which is where the nerve and blood supply are). She is at risk of loosing the tooth since it can abscess or die and fall out on its own. Super. The dentist had to polish and file it smooth since it had some jagged edges. She did really good during this part, but about half way through she'd had enough and started crying and moving alot.
We're still not sure how exactly it happened, but the dentist thinks she bit down hard on something because of the way it was broken, possibly my stroller bar since that was one of the only things she came in contact with in the short window of time that it could have happened.
So, until she looses that sweet jagged tooth...this is the precious grin that we'll get to see!
I took this right before we headed to the dentist, so it looks a little smoother now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor thing. Great pic though. She will love you showing that to future boyfriends. Glad she is OK.

annalee said...

i'm so sorry! i have to say that sweet smile is still as beautiful as always though!

Jennifer said...

Sweet girl! It doesn't look as drastic as I thought it would (from an objective point of view). She's just as much a cutie pie as she was before - and now with distinction! :)

Rachel said...

Aww poor grace. She would be the child to chip a tooth and not even tell you! Such a good baby! I still love her sweet little smile!