Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Flood

Last Wednesday I woke up to the sound of our wet/dry vacuum at 6:30am. At first I thought Micah was sharpening pencils (love how your sleepy mind works!), but as I walked into the living room and found water covering my floor, I soon realized that tropical storm Hermine had graced our house with her presence. It had rained so much that one of our flowerbeds in the front yard was flooding, sending the overflow into our living room. We cleaned up the mess and Micah started problem solving outside to see what could be done to prevent it. Everything seemed under control, the girls woke up at their usual time (thankfully not during the initial cleanup), Micah headed to Home Depot for supplies, and I started feeding the girls breakfast. Well...it started raining again and within minutes, the living room was filling up. This time, however, I was alone with two busy girls and there was no end in sight. Luckily Micah showed up after just a few minutes and he quickly got to work outside to relieve the rising waters. Of course it was a major inconvenience, but we are blessed to have had minimal damage. All in all, we had about an inch of water in about half of our living room. Our poor yard suffered the most. Micah called in the troops...his dad, brother, Justin and Ryan....and they were able to dig a trench in our yard to install a french drain before dinner time. I'm so thankful for family and friends who will drop everything and come to our aid. I'm also thankful that Micah discovered the water before he left for work and that all of this didn't happen on our first day of school.

The trench...we're still working on getting things back to normal out there.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Um, yikes. I'm glad there wasn't major damage! Don't forget you can call me and Michael in as reinforcements - we still owe you for our bathroom!!