Monday, April 21, 2008

Going Green

In case you didn't know, Earth Day is tomorrow. Back in my teaching days I would always talk to my kids about Earth Day and how important it was to reduce, reuse, and recycle. It wasn't until last year that I decided to actually practice what I was preachin'!! Last Earth Day our family became recyclers!! I bought two matching trash cans to replace our gigantic 33 gallon trash can and labeled one for recycling. It has been so easy to make that important change.

This year, I've decided to switch to reusable grocery bags instead of paper or plastic. I'm sure it will rock the Target lady's world when I ask her to fill up my cloth bags, but I'm up for it!! We'll see how that goes.

Do you do anything to make the world a little greener??? (I'm looking for suggestions for next year!)

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Yay for reusable grocery bags! You have to provide your own bags and bag your own groceries here, so no strange looks when you have cloth bags. But I can imagine it's a strange thing to do in Texas.

Here's an idea for next year (or sooner) -- If you have indoor or outdoor plants you water, you can stick a bucket in the shower with you to catch some of that extra water that would otherwise just go down the drain. You could also do this if you're going to mop or wash the car or do anything else that would require a bucket of water.

angela said...

umm... I REuse plastic Walmart sacks to put dirty diapers in...

Jennifer said...

wow - reusable grocery bags. That's a concept. You could start a new Texas trend!

We use those energy saving light bulbs and are switching over slowly but surely to cleaning products that have all natural ingredients and are better for the environment.

And I reuse Walmart sacks like Angela does, but as trash bags for our small waste baskets :)...not sure that's really earth friendly, but it's a small form of recycling!

Alisha said...

I just thought of something else -- and this is kind of a big one. I have to admit, I'm not very good at this one yet. Here it is: Buy local and in-season produce. If you can't get local fruits and veggies from your grocery store, try a farmer's market. Or join a co-op. And if you really want to go all out, start your own small garden. This may be a good one for next year. :)